Thursday, April 25, 2013

Independent Component 2





LITERAL
(a) “I, Darlene Dela Rosa, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.”

(b) Roxanne Bickham
Email: roxanne_bickham@us.aflac.com

(c)
Independent Component 2 LOG

(d) See digital log.  


 INTERPRETIVE


 Pictures 1-4 were taken of my Cardiovascular Cancer poster that will be on display for the Relay for Life. Each team captain must ensure that their team is spreading awareness about a certain type of cancer. Cardiovascular Cancer is rare but 10,000 people are diagnosed annually. It can happen to anyone. Also, the type of cancer that you choose must relate back to anything that your team is selling in your booth. In order to raise awareness, my team and I will be selling heart shaped confections, jewelry, and hennas. I also researched all of the information on this tri-fold and made a know and need to know from my research. (See blog entitled "Ind. Comp 2-Know & Need to Know: Cardiovascular Cancer")


1
2
3
4

 
 Pictures 5-12 display the Luminarias I made for the Relay for Life as well as the concept drawing I did before I made each one. The Relay for Life has a Luminaria ceremony. It is the most solemn time of the event to honor those who lost the battle to cancer and those who survived. I made these in honor of loved ones of mine that have survived cancer and I also made some upon request of some of my friends and family members who knew someone with cancer. These Luminarias will be illuminated and lined up around the track during this special ceremony which will take place around dusk.



5
6


7
8


9

10

11

12





 Picture 13 shows my Team Captain Kit that was given to me by my mentor, Roxanne Bickham. It includes fundraising techniques and a checklist to do before the Relay for Life. It also includes information about what you should bring the day of Relay and how you can recruit more people to join your team. It also talks about the different types of awards given to those who fundraise a certain amount of money. It also came with posters, brochures, and donation envelopes.


13


 Picture 14-16 displays the Childhod Cancer Survivors seminar that was held at City of Hope. Here, I learned about Cardiovascular Cancer and health, which I will be educating and spreading awareness about at the Relay for Life event. The top causes of cancer were also displayed as well as ways to prevent certain cancers.

14
15

16




APPLIED
How did the component help you answer your EQ or support one or more of your answers.  Please include specific examples to illustrate how it helped. 

This component helped me answer my EQ, "What best defines a successful program for support of cancer survivors?" because I worked closely with the Relay for Life, which is an event that supports cancer patients and survivors within communities. Relay for Life is run by the American Cancer Society, which is a successful cancer support organization that raises millions of dollars for cancer research and programs each year. Since the Relay for Life has its very own Survivor Lap and Luminaria ceremony that honors cancer survivors, it promotes cancer survivor involvement in the cancer community which is my third answer. Alongside this, the Relay for Life efficiently distributes their funds because all of the funds go toward cancer research and programs. Team Captains, such as myself, must put up a booth the day of the event to raise money. The money used to create things to sell at the booth comes out of the team captain's pocket. Therefore, 100% of all money raised at the booth goes directly toward the Relay for Life for cancer research and programs. The Relay for Life depends on volunteers to raise money. This allows a majority of the funds to go toward cancer and not salaries, like the Susan B. Komen Foundation. This component helped me realize how important promoting involvement in the cancer community is, which is my third and best answer. Without the involvement of team captains, people in the community, and those in the cancer community, the Relay for Life, a successful program for support of cancer survivors, would not be possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment