Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mentorship


    Literal
·       Click Here for Mentorship Log
·     Ana Marie, 1-805-813-7212
Roxanne Bickham, 909-917-6857
   
Interpretive
    I began mentorship with Roxanne Bickham who has been involved in the Relay for Life for 10 years. She started inviting me to team captain meetings to receive advice from them and to just get me started on developing my own team. I successfully put together my own team. My team name is "The Curesaders" named after the cluster of battles that took place in the medieval times. I named my team this because cancer survivors go through several battles themselves. She took me to a Relay for Life in Claremont and showed me how it was like and all the support that cancer survivors, families, and cancer patients receive. I learned the importance of promoting involvement in the cancer community by doing this myself. I advocated the Relay for Life to my parent’s co-workers, families, and friends using different methods. I also practiced different offsite fundraising techniques that Roxanne Bickham taught me in order to raise more money. 
Applied
Promoting involvement in the cancer community is my third and best answer because of what Roxanne Bickham has taught me. She opened my eyes to the importance of involvement and how much support survivors obtain from it. With "promoting involvement in the cancer community" being my best answer, my experiences with Roxanne and Relay for Life helped me to find my best answer and practice it at the same time. I called family and friends to join my team in order to involve them. I organized a fundraising lunch and dinner event at a local restaurant, Jojo's Pizza to raise more funds offsite in my community. I made Luminarias in honor of or in memory of those that I have known who have been affected by cancer. I put so much time and effort into the San Dimas Relay for Life and have learned so many methods in order to put my best answer into action as a team captain. Roxanne Bickham was my very first stepping stone in the process of learning more about my best answer and implementing it into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment